On Father’s Day, Sunday, June 17, 2012, while in New York attending graduations for my seventeen year-old granddaughter and four year-old grandson, I attended church services at my former church in Rockaway Beach . After the many hugs, kisses and “glad to see you” pleasantries from my former church family, I settled in my favorite pew and waited patiently for the service to begin. I was excited to be back in church with its beautiful stained-glass windows, shiny mahogany pews and red carpeted aisles. I always felt so comforted, all those years, when I sat in that very pew and admired the beautiful stained-glass windows as shafts of sunlight brightens them with glistening myriads of colorful hues. And once again, I admired the stained glass window above the altar, which displayed an awesome picture of Jesus Christ as He stood divinely tall, clothed in a midnight blue and scarlet robe.
Yes, I thought, this is the wonderful church in which I happily worshipped for so many years as a very active member serving on various committees. “Glad to be home again,” I whispered.
Sitting there in a nostalgic mood, I watched the choir members so elegantly dressed in their fine burgundy linen robes with white trims on the collars and sleeve cuffs. In one queue, they filed past me and ascended the two-tier steps onto the altar where they took their respective seats facing the Organist/Choir Director, who sat at the organ playing the beautiful prelude that preceded the service. Following directly behind the choir members were the Pastor and Liturgist walking abreast of each other as they too ascended the steps to the altar.
The service began with the Liturgist participating in the initial part of worship. Upon completion, it was Pastor Joe’s [as he is affectionately called] time to officiate. He began with “Time with the children.” Seated on the step with his back to the altar, a group of children, including my grandson, hurriedly surrounded him. They sat on the front pews and on the red carpet, all too eager to hear the message he had for them. This accomplished, the children went to their respective Sunday Schools.
Then Pastor Joe, clothed in his pastoral robe, took his rightful position at the pulpit and read the scriptures that symbolized his sermon, entitled, “Be a Model for Them.”
Standing at the pulpit and speaking in a soft but deliberate voice, Pastor Joe began his sermon by telling the congregation that how we, as adults, live our lives should be a model to others, especially to the younger generation. He advocated that we should desire the qualities of a positive and spiritual modeled life to include the family, the church and society. He maintained that we can only pass on to others what we, ourselves, have received and that a good teacher teaches by his/her own experiences. We should be spiritual role models in the church, because we are either spiritual mentors or spiritual companions. He continued by saying we should nurture things through our relationships with God and one another and that we should take time in our daily schedules and personal lives to hear the word of God.
Pastor Joe ended his sermon with the following text that left a profound and lasting effect on me: “To love God is a free unconditional love. We should be calm and silent with God and get a clear perspective of what He requires from us.” And above all, we should “Breathe in God and breathe out Love.”
I listened intently as he spoke. His sermon was so compelling I took copious notes that inspired me to write this piece.
Pastor Joe preached to the very core of one’s soul. I sat there and fully embraced the gospel of grace as it was delivered that touched my very soul. As a spiritual teacher, he connected to my deepest spiritual beliefs. As a pastor and preacher, he reminded me that “all things are good when they work together with God’s grace. And that through God’s grace, the Holy Spirit is continually guiding us. ”
It was a very coherent and awe-inspiring sermon. Needless to say, I was captivated and spiritually fulfilled upon hearing one of the most powerful sermons that was so eloquently, spiritually and masterfully delivered by Rev. Joseph Medlin, Pastor of the First Congregational Church in Rockaway Beach , New York , on Father’s Day, Sunday, June 17, 2012.
A sad commentary……
On October 29, 2012, during Hurricane Sandy’s devastating visit to the Rockaways, the Chapel and basement of the First Congregational Church were severely damaged. Fortunately, the sanctuary and altar including the beautiful stained glass windows suffered minor damages. And the Chapel in its damaged state was used as one of the outreach locations in the Rockaways. What a blessing that was. Repairs have now been completed and church services have resumed with displaced members gradually returning to worship. God be the glory!!

No comments:
Post a Comment