Monday, August 13, 2012

God’s Magnificent Garden

 Reflection of a Glorious Autumn Day  

             It was a gorgeous day – sunny, blue skies - no humidity.  The kind of day that made
me feel grateful to be alive.   
            With a glass of ice-cold lemonade in my hand, I left the confines of my condo unit and wandered outside where I immersed myself into Mother Nature’s awesome creation.  I took a seat on the garden bench opposite the gigantic Black Olive tree, so tall it reached the third floor of my three-storey condo building.  
            A refreshing breeze rustled through the leaves of the tree’s massive wide-spread branches that formed an umbrella, shading the green-grassy lawn below.  Leaves of myriad hues and shapes were falling to the ground in rapid fashion, blanketing the lawn with a jamboree of exotic colors. Nature’s harmonious choir of birds singing, bees buzzing, insects chirping and butterflies flitting from flower to flower, all resonated in mighty splendor of the day.  In yon horizon, patches of fluffy white clouds, displaying different sizes and shapes, slowly meandered across the azure sky.
            The resounding voices of children frolicking in the pool a few feet from where I sat were ceremoniously pleasing.  I could hear the splashing sound of the water as they dived into the pool that was followed by squeals of laughter.  The inaudible chatter of the grown-ups, watching the children, blended with the crooning voice of Nat King Cole, as he sang Mona Lisa that emanated from the ever-present radio at the pool, were musically entertaining and harmoniously pleasing.
I was amused by the playfulness of two energetic squirrels as they ran up and down the huge tree trunk - playing hide-and-seek among the massive branches and chasing each other across the lawn.  When they thought they had enough and it was time to quit, they dashed up the tree going in different directions, apparently in search of the nuts they stored in secured hide-away places. Yes, the squirrels were certainly delightful to watch.  With their long bushy tails, they have a penchant for standing upright on their hind legs with their two front legs posed in shortened fashion, while looking intently -- turning their heads from side-to-side, as if listening for a mating call from the opposite sex.
Early that morning, a torrential downpour drenched the parched earth that was still sodden. The ducks could be seen waddling across the lawn -- as they usually do after a downpour -- in search of food -- mostly worms, that are often washed-up from the soil and crawling on the grass, most likely trying to find a hiding place from hungry predators.  With their obedient ducklings in tow and using their pointed beaks, the ducks were busy plucking worms from the wet grass – unaware of watchful eyes.
Yes, nature is truly breathtakingly awesome as God intends it to be. In His Infinite wisdom, He generously created a magnificent masterpiece that awakened my authentic senses that:  seeing the swaying of the tree branches and knowing the wind is passing through;  hearing the rustling of the leaves and the harmonious singing of the birds as they serenade all those who are blessed to hear them;  smelling the fragrance of the floral blossoms in Mother Natures majestic garden;  feeling the coolness of the breeze as it gently bathes my bare hands, face and legs, and tasting the delicious ice-cold lemonade that I slowly sipped – savoring every last drop.  I was enchanted and thankful that my God-given senses were in fast forward drive. It then became evident to me that God’s wisdom and eternal powers are forever seen through nature’s magnificent creative wonders.  Whatever stress or tension that was embedded in me, I gladly released it to be nurtured by Mother Nature’s surrounding glory that was very gratifying and therapeutic to my sensual spirit.  
Nature’s awe-inspiring macrocosm harmonized me in a state of spiritual contentment. The glorious spectacular of God’s majesty on that day of tranquil and bliss, assured me that my present gift of brief idleness was nurtured by God’s unconditional generosity.  This was a blessing absolutely necessary to be savored with much thanksgiving.  And seared in my spiritual awakening was a day of glorious splendor to be reminisced with absolute fondness.
Sitting there, a peaceful sensation enveloped me.  I closed my eyes, reflected on the glorious, picturesque day and envisioned that all was well with my soul. I realized that an attraction to the natural environment is evidence of a deeper sensual urge.  My getting in tune with nature was experienced with personal gratitude.  Deepening my emotional ties to nature was vital to my well-being just as they were when I were a happy child growing up on my parents’ farm many years ago. 
I was captivated.  I did not want to leave the place where peace and harmony was the bedrock of my soul.  However, duty beckoned, and with a deep sigh of regret, I slowly lifted myself from the bench and reluctantly retreated to the bowels of my condo where I busied myself with the rest of the day’s tasks that awaited my undivided attention. 
As I became engrossed in my work, I was reminded of Psalm 104: 24 [KJV]: “Oh Lord, how manifold are thy works!  In wisdom hast thou made them all – the earth so full of thy riches.”  Then with a burst of spiritual energy, my soprano voice captured the beauty of the day as I sang:  Oh Lord my God when I in awesome wonder – consider the works thy hand hath made…….”  Yes!  On that glorious autumn day, my blessings overflowed with the awareness of harmony and gratitude.


No comments:

Post a Comment